[ANN] SqueakLight status

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Jan 30 09:16:31 UTC 2006

Alexandre Bergel puso en su mail :

> Hi!
>
> I tried SqueakLight. It looks nice.
> Some bugs I found after few minutes of try:
> - Double click on the bin and you get an exception
> - If I click on the book, bottom right, I got a file browser. Once I
> selected a folder, I got an exception
> - If I try to move the tool bar, I got a lot of exception.
>
> I've got few questions:
> - Why do you want to deal with changesets ? Why not Monticello ?
> - It seems SqueakLight is based on a 3.7. Why not a 3.9 ?
> - I feel that "SqueakLight" is not really a sexy name... For someone
> that does not know squeak at all, "SqueakLight" looks strange, IMHO.
>
> Regards,
> Alexandre
Alexandre , I very thanks you for your feedback.

For all bugs, if you have a .gif and a SqueakDebug.log, send to me and I
could fix.
>> - Double click on the bin and you get an exception
What bin ?
>> - If I click on the book, bottom right, I got a file browser. Once I
>> selected a folder, I got an exception

I suppose you don't have a SqueakBooks with your own saved "MiStack".
Could grave what it's on my ftp for having something to look and play.
This part is in progress to (a help system with a Squeak resident private
and a web access public)
I guess you have a empty collection complain
> - If I try to move the tool bar, I got a lot of exception.
I check this, The button bar on bottom should stay in bottom and do not
should move. Also you could have the common tools by click in the World.

> - Why do you want to deal with changesets ? Why not Monticello ?
The fact is the baby have Monticelllo and friends like 3.9.
Understand this, .cs (old way, and you are right) and "emporwements", code
compress .sqz what extend SqueakLight

> - I feel that "SqueakLight" is not really a sexy name... For someone
> that does not know squeak at all, "SqueakLight" looks strange, IMHO.

Why you don't like that name ? You don't have the markets full of products
whit the Light label in Swizerland ?:=)
I wish know how you wish this was called.

> It seems SqueakLight is based on a 3.7. Why not a 3.9 ?
SqueakLight have three authors or people what work on 3.7 shrink.
Owns a lot to Pavel Krivanek and his Small image and to Steven Swerling and
his QuiteSmall image.
And to my old team partners Dan, Ned and Juan (between others)
At this moment could load any normal code produced by 3.8 or 3.9 (until
6705)
And have a couple of years behind ,a 3.4 start history.

What it's my goal.
A small practical morphic only, could reduced to about 3.6 mb and grown to
3.9 when completed the "emporwements"
For starters, is better deal with a reduced class set.
And could run in more handicapped harwdware.
And for people what wish pack finished apps, let you do the development on
full version, save your .mcz, load on SqueakLight and deliver a app in less
of 5mb if you know the bussiness.

I have all my experiments running in souped SqueakLight and a
SqueakLightServer in 4.5 mb.

Again , very thanks for your time, and try to fix all.

Edgar