Refactoring squeak

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 00:23:27 UTC 2006

Hi Damien,

>Refactoring squeak
>Damien Cassou damien.cassou at laposte.net
>Fri Jun 30 08:34:13 UTC 2006 wrote:

>Hi,
>
>sometimes when I dive into Squeak source code, I
would like to refactor
>some piece of code that can be enhanced.

>Does someone care to have better source code in
Squeak?

Yes.

>Where is the best place to post the
>enhancements ? To post new tests ? Often, it will be
just one line or
>two, do I need to write bug reports in mantis ?

Do you need to write a bug report on mantis?  How
would you respond to your own question?

My experience is that when I find something that
bothers me about a piece of squeak. I need to write
the mantis report first. Then when I dive into it I
have a place to put my partial results. Analysis etc.
And when I triumph over the code my fixes and
enhancements go there also.

.
> Will somebody have a look at this ?

Will it be interesting to look at?

Have you included a good recipe for reproducing the
bug?  Is your explanation of code enhancements clear?
Have you a good answer to the question: “What makes it
worthwhile?”

You will find it interesting. You put it there.
Whether someone else will depends on whether its in
their field of interest. And on whether they’ve
discovered reading mantis can be more interesting than
follow the mailing list.

There are a few of us who look at new mantis issues
regularly (if they are in our field of interest).  I
have had mantis issues that have attracted outside
attention and ones that have remained ‘mine’ for long
periods of time.

Markus Denker in his work on 3dot9 harvested a LOT of
code reported in mantis issues.

Mantis is patiently persistent.  An issue there has a
better chance of getting noticed eventually than the
mail list.

A lot of people add bugs to mantis then include the
url in a mail post to draw attention to it.
If you report a bug here and its a good one, someone
will suggest you put it on mantis, so why not beat
them to the punch?

Squeak is meant to be iterative.  Good code review and
good Simplifing refactorings would improve its next
iteration greatly. I hope you go for it.

Yours in service, Jerome Peace