Writing a book on Seaside

Chris Cunnington cunnington at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 1 18:01:39 UTC 2006

On 7/1/06 7:24 AM, "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at laposte.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a book on Seaside. Here is the plan and some ideas:
> http://www.enseirb.fr/~cassou/SeasideBook.pdf
>
> *Please please* comment and give me advices and new ideas. I need you to
> force me working on this very (too?) big project.
>
> I would really like a book on Seaside to help the community amd make
> Seaside a killer app.
>

> Thanks

I'm pleased that somebody who knows a lot about Smalltalk is writing a book
on Seaside. It's necessary. The only real resource is David Shaffer's
tutorial, and for a newbie, there are some leaps he makes that confuse one
for a couple of days.

If you want my advice, and you asked, then the first thing you need to do is
nail down who you are writing the book for. If it's for bit-heads, then you
can make it as incomprehensible as you like. If not, then I suggest you try
to get into the head of the ignorant person you're writing it for.

Secondly, you are going to need an editor. You English is unidiomatic. It's
"advice" not "advices". If you can't detect the difference between "What
does not solve Seaside" and "What Seaside does not solve" then you need
somebody who does. If you think it doesn't matter, then you shouldn't be
writing a book.

I'm an editor. I'd be willing to do that for you for free.
http://www.dynamicword.com

If you don't want my help, I do suggest you find a native English speaker to
review your use of idiom.

For what it's worth, I've written 25,000 words in the last month on the
topic of learning Smalltalk/Squeak/Seaside. You can see it in my blog here:
http://www.brokentomb.com

Chris Cunnington
Toronto