Writing a book on Seaside

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at laposte.net
Sat Jul 1 18:53:07 UTC 2006

First, I would like to thank you for the interest you show for my book.

> I'm pleased that somebody who knows a lot about Smalltalk is writing a book
> on Seaside.

I'm not sure I know a lot about Smalltalk as I discovered it two years
ago for the first time.

> It's necessary. The only real resource is David Shaffer's
> tutorial, and for a newbie, there are some leaps he makes that confuse one
> for a couple of days.

Lukas Renggli wrote a tutorial, exercices and slides.
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

> If you want my advice, and you asked, then the first thing you need to do is
> nail down who you are writing the book for. If it's for bit-heads, then you
> can make it as incomprehensible as you like. If not, then I suggest you try
> to get into the head of the ignorant person you're writing it for.

I'm writing this book for persons who know nothing about Seaside.
Smalltalk knowledge is not necessary too because a chapter will be
written on this at the end of the book.

> Secondly, you are going to need an editor. You English is unidiomatic. It's
> "advice" not "advices". If you can't detect the difference between "What
> does not solve Seaside" and "What Seaside does not solve" then you need
> somebody who does. If you think it doesn't matter, then you shouldn't be
> writing a book.

I do not know the difference between the two sentences and I know I need
people to read me and correct me. That was part of what I asked in my
previous mail. But I do not need such kind of person currently because
what I wrote is highly subject to change and I do not want people to
loose their time.

> I'm an editor. I'd be willing to do that for you for free.

It's very nice, thank you very much. Take care, I will really ask you
when I need someone to correct what I wrote :-)

> For what it's worth, I've written 25,000 words in the last month on the
> topic of learning Smalltalk/Squeak/Seaside. You can see it in my blog here:
> http://www.brokentomb.com

Thank you for this link and thank you for your comment.

Bye