Fw: Domain-specific notations

francisco.j.garau at jpmorgan.com francisco.j.garau at jpmorgan.com
Tue Jul 4 15:21:15 UTC 2006

FYI,
---
Francisco Garau
0207 777 1362 - x71362
----- Forwarded by Francisco J Garau/JPMCHASE on 04/07/2006 16:19 -----

"Stephen Taylor" <editor at vector.org.uk>
04/07/2006 15:50
Please respond to editor

        To:     "Romilly Cocking" <romilly at cocking.co.uk>, "Francisco. J.
Garau" <francisco.j.garau at jpmorgan.com>, "Tony Garnock-Jones"
<tonyg at lshift.net>
        cc:
        Subject:        Domain-specific notations

At XP2006 we identified others with a common interest in the use of
domain-specific notations (DSNs). We see DSNs enabling domain experts and
professional writers (programmers) to collaborate on executable system
descriptions — software. Our experience indicates that direct
collaboration
on an executable description enables useful software to be written at a
pace
even more rapid than achieved by agile developers using C++ or Java.

A key to this is the use of dynamically-typed languages, which permit
concise and dynamic definitions of vocabulary. We point from our own
experience to APL, J, Python, Ruby and Smalltalk.

We are interested in the possibility of either a dedicated track at XP2007
for DSNs, or a conference dedicated to DSNs, or both.

In this we have attracted from XP2006 the interest and encouragement of

- Kent Beck, author of "Extreme Programming Explained", who would like to
revive interest in Smalltalk
- Barry Boehm, Professor, Center for Software Engineering, USCLA
- Jack Järkvik, VP R&D, Ericsson AB
- Pekka Abrahamsson, XP2006 chair
- Jutta Eckstein, XP2004 chair

I'm looking to convene a 1-day meeting to review what a dedicated
conference
or track might cover, and to agree any action to take about it. This
meeting
might

- abut the Dyalog APL User Meeting in Elsinore (Helsingør) in October;
- be held in London, to which travel is relatively cheap.

Who would represent the UK Smalltalk community?

Stephen

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended
as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial
instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices,
data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and
do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries
and affiliates.