Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Jul 6 12:28:32 UTC 2006

Am 06.07.2006 um 09:50 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> On 5 juil. 06, at 19:16, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>>> Okay, I was not aware of that. It is sad if Tweak developers are not
>>> interested to get Tweak maintstream in Squeak.
>>
>> Shouldn't the responsibility of putting Tweak into mainstream
>> Squeak be
>> the responsibility of the mainstream Squeak development team if
>> that's
>> what they want?
>
> Chris,
> I think that you have a funny way to looking at us.
> If tweak guys do not want to participate why should we do that?

The question wasn't about participation but about responsibility.

> I always said that I would like to help pushing Tweak (ie removing
> MVC....)
> but so far nothing.

Right. Because nobody from the Squeak community took on that task,
yet, so there's nobody you could have "helped". Also, there was no
"decision" yet that Tweak actually should replace Morphic. There are
many cool features in Tweak, I personally like its ideas a lot, but
there are also people who dislike it for various reasons. The first
step would be that more people from the community actually try to do
something serious in Tweak. Only then could you estimate if it is
actually worth-while to switch to Tweak as the default UI.

Also, mind you, it took Morphic quite some time until it became the
default UI. Several people worked full-time on it. That's also a
reason why the "Tweak developers" don't take on such a task lightly.

>>> Without commitment of the lead developpers of Tweak to get it in
>>> Squeak,
>>> it is useless to send such patch and enhancement.
>>
>> What makes you say that?  I see no correlation..
>
> I let you guess.
> Read the mailing-lists and you will see.

Lighten up you french guys, you're gonna win the soccer world cup,
right? ;-)

Seriously, if someone came up with the idea to switch to Qt (just to
name some UI), would you expect the Qt developers to lead that effort?

- Bert -