Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 6 17:10:21 UTC 2006

Hi Folks -

[Just as a reminder: You may want to consider changing subjects once the
discussion goes as far off as it does here. I dropped off this thread a
while ago and if it weren't for Bert's post would have never looked at
it again]

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> People will not do serious things with Tweak as long as they do not have
> a middle term visibility about Tweak. Like it or not, this is how it
> work. An expression of interest from the Tweak developper to get Tweak
> mainstream in Squeak could of course change that. But it seems, as I
> learn it recently from other email of the thread, that it is not the case.

Which email are you referring to?

>> Also, mind you, it took Morphic quite some time until it became the
>> default UI. Several people worked full-time on it. That's also a
>> reason why the "Tweak developers" don't take on such a task lightly.
>
> It is understandable as resource is now tight. However it is not an
> excuse to not communicate, which seems to be the problem now.

Not sure why you think this is a problem. If you have any questions,
have you tried asking them on the Tweak mailing list? Or perhaps cc-ing
the relevant messages over to it? I'm much more likely to look at stuff
coming in that way than on my occasional glance over Squeak-dev.

> Tweak is developped with Squeak for Squeak, its integration mainstream
> in Squeak can only be done in collaboration with the Tweak developper.
> Steph suggested me a few days ago, to play with Tweak as a base for
> further development. I look at the tutorial, it was nice, I love many of
> the developer features comming with Tweak. Tweak introduced new paradigm
> as the annotation. This new features are changes to the core Squeak,
> IMHO to integrate thus core modifcation in Squeak a close collaboration
> is needed between the Tweak developer and the Squeak integrator. Without
> communication between both it is even not a good idea to try to do so,
> remember resources is tight for every one.

Right. I agree. So what kind of communication do you expect and where
have we failed to provide an appropriate level of communication?

Cheers,
   - Andreas