Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Thu Jul 6 19:01:11 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab a écrit :

>> People will not do serious things with Tweak as long as they do not
>> have a middle term visibility about Tweak. Like it or not, this is how
>> it work. An expression of interest from the Tweak developper to get
>> Tweak mainstream in Squeak could of course change that. But it seems,
>> as I learn it recently from other email of the thread, that it is not
>> the case.
>

> Which email are you referring to?

For the history:

Here I reported I read on tweak.impara.de that Teak will replace Morph
and Etoys, and wonder if it is still the objective
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-July/105646.html

Then Cees recalled me it may not that simple:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-July/105653.html

Then Steph reported me he offered assistance to help integrate Tweak in
Squeak.org, but did not get result on the offer.

I recall I am an outsider so I may have uncomplete picture. If so it
will be fine the enlight me.

>> Tweak is developped with Squeak for Squeak, its integration mainstream
>> in Squeak can only be done in collaboration with the Tweak developper.
>> Steph suggested me a few days ago, to play with Tweak as a base for
>> further development. I look at the tutorial, it was nice, I love many
>> of the developer features comming with Tweak. Tweak introduced new
>> paradigm as the annotation. This new features are changes to the core
>> Squeak, IMHO to integrate thus core modifcation in Squeak a close
>> collaboration is needed between the Tweak developer and the Squeak
>> integrator. Without communication between both it is even not a good
>> idea to try to do so, remember resources is tight for every one.
>

> Right. I agree. So what kind of communication do you expect and where
> have we failed to provide an appropriate level of communication?

>So what kind of communication do you expect
communication at the metalevel to get Tweak in Squeak.org

After 3.9, Squeak.org could enter in development cycle with the sole and
unique objective to just get Tweak into Squeak.org. So roughtly, we can
say next Squeak.org will just be Squeak.org3.9 + Tweak. No morphic
removal or any other stuff, just to get Tweak in.

The benefice will be quadruple:
 - Tweak developer mays get more feedback from users
 - Squeak developers working on the browser and other Squeak IDE
development tools could start working on Tweak version of these tools
 - People willing to develop Squeak application may fell more
confortable to develop their next application with Tweak (I will)
 - Tweak developers will not have to maintain a separate Squeak version
anymore.

It will be definitively a win-win situation.

You may say this is already possible today with your distribution of
Tweak, but like it or not, it is not mainstream so not every one buy it
(I am not because of the lack of visibility).

Then later step by step Morph could be removed, if not relicensable.
Just a smooth process for the benefice of everyone.

Hilaire