Alan Kay's EuroPython Keynote

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Jul 7 08:52:49 UTC 2006

Am 07.07.2006 um 06:40 schrieb Alan Kay:

>>  Also,
>> the $100 laptop already has Python, and Alan is of course hoping
>> that a
>> Squeak-like environment will be part of it, so this appears
>> expedient.
>
> We will also have the Squeak based stuff on there. But I'm worried
> about maintenance and extensions, etc. So we made a new version of
> Etoys (called "WYSIwiki - will be released later this summer) that
> uses an OpenDoc format for moving project/pages around. This could
> have any number of "players/authoring hosts", and I'm hoping that
> both the Python and Ruby communities will take a shot at doing one.

There is an experimental morphic-like environment in Python by Paul
Fernhout (former Squeaker). It's only a few weeks in development, see
the video linked from

	http://www.mail-archive.com/edu-sig@python.org/msg02492.html

Python's "edu-sig" mailing list is an interesting place for sure, but
I doubt they'll buy into the visual, constructivist approach of Etoys
anytime soon.

- Bert -