Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Fri Jul 7 12:58:33 UTC 2006

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :
> Am 07.07.2006 um 12:01 schrieb Hilaire Fernandes:
>
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>> Daniel Vainsencher a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Hilaire.
>>> Its taken us quite a while, but one of the things I like to think
>>> we've learned as a community is that the right way to handle big
>>> changes is to start early, but have multiple stages. Andreas
>>> mentioned the idea of making Tweak into a package loadable into
>>> squeak-dev. This implies a whole lot of work, in fact in the past
>>> this stage has usually been something like half the work required
>>> for the integration of projects, so I wouldn't trivialize the
>>> proposal. It is good for the community because it allows people to
>>> try it out more easily. I think this is a better proposal than
>>> committing lots of people that have never seen Tweak into a  "Squeak
>>> 3.10 is Tweak" plan.
>>

>> Sorry we can't buy it:
>>
>> -Getting Tweak in Squeak.org3.9 or
>> -Getting Tweak in SqueakMap so it is loadable in Squeak.org3.9
>>
>> is as far as I can see 99.99% of the same process.
>

> Actually, no. The first is a political decision (of huge impact), the
> second a technical issue (and not a small one either).

Ok, so according to you there are no polical desire to get Tweak in
Squeak.org. This is indeed really what a lot of us were felling.
At least it is not very clear.

> IMHO, your insistence on getting Tweak into 3.9 is a red herring -
> Tweak is bootstrappable in a regular 3.8 image. If you actually  wanted
> to get a feel for what is involved in getting Tweak up and  running you
> could try that.

Sure, but there are a big difference between getting *once* Tweak
running in Squeak.org and getting Tweak running *always* in Squeak.org
(ie integrated in, being part of, belonging to, *evoloving in*).

It is about long range vision, not short sight.

I will stop replying to this thread as I think we already have all the
element to evaluate the sitatuation regarding Tweak in Squeak.org.

Best regards,

Hilaire