SqueakGTK or SqueakWX mainstream in Squeak.org

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:17:47 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
> (Still with the idea to get a core Squeak.org version, free software
> community compatible)

Why one UI? Why one *anything*?

The only move I am going to lift a finger on is a move that brings us
closer to the idea of Squeak as a platform. Which probably means
burning diskpacks, starting with Spoon or something similarly small,
and then pretending that we're Linux:
- a small kernel (really small, not "linux small" ;-));
- lots and lots of packages under different licenses;
- people building distro's. A web dev distro, a wxUI distro, ...

Squeak must become an eco system. Think Java, Linux. A reasonably
small amount of common code that lays the groundwork, and let the
community sort it out from there. If you want a new kind of Squeak,
just assemble it. If you want to share it, publish it. If it becomes
popular and the de facto main distribution, congrats.

Oh, and we have everything in place. As in Spoon works, we have a
package system (sort of. several even :-)), lots of packages, and so
on.

We'd just need to declare it the next thing.