SqueakGTK or SqueakWX mainstream in Squeak.org

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Sat Jul 8 07:13:05 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge a écrit :

>> No it is one Squeak.org version, free software community compatible
>

> I echo Cees - why one version?

Oh, because one is the number comming just after zero.
And now we have zero "Squeak.org version, free software community
compatible".
Of course if we can have plenty of it it will be even better, but let's
be realistic and let's try to do a first one.

>>> Oh, and we have everything in place. As in Spoon works, we have a
>>> package system (sort of. several even :-)), lots of packages, and so
>>> on.
>>>
>>> We'd just need to declare it the next thing.
>>

>> Why not.
>> Also people seem to prefer the idea of wxSqueak UI experience, what
>> about getting it into Spoon.
>

> Work. Lots of it. We need people with time and *commitment* to do  said
> work.

I agree, but first before, don't we need to decide where we want to go?
Please guys can we move the discussion at the meta-level (the one some
people say it is the political level), the one you need before you wrote
any piece of code.

It is my felling that the Sqeak community is sunking. Earlier this year
Alan Kay put the final touch to its desintegration with his "Let's do it
with Python because the Python community is 'smarter' than the Squeak one"

Have you noticed that Marcus is not posting anymore there? He's the one
who help to bring us Squeak.org3.9, a comminuty work.

We need to have a common goal (and better an exciting one), so the
Squeak community can attract people to contribute and help. Without such
 vision it is unlikely people will feel it is worth the effort.
And I am sorry to say that again, but the YES-NO game does not help for
such goal.

For the major part of its existence, Squeak was developed as a pet
project at Apple, Dysney, HP. And now we have Viewpointresearchinstitute
and also Squeak.org handled by a community. In the move from the
corporate sphere to the community one, the squeak.org community has not
matured yet, the SqueakFoundation seems to have difficulty to affirm itself.

Hilaire