OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Daniel Poon mr.d.poon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 08:37:44 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 7-Jul-06, at 2:45 PM, Daniel Poon wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> UI widgets are a solved problem. It is part of the operating system.
>> Like writing a file system is done, writing UI widgets is done too.
>
> Now that I have to disagree with. There is no OS/GUI /platform that I
> have so much as heard rumours of that qualify as having 'solved UI
> widgets'. They are all sufficiently steeped in effluvium as to smell bad.
>
> I don't think filing systems are 'done ' either; certainly microsoft
> hasn't managed to finish that damn big file system it's been promising
> RSN since I first moved to the US in 91. Unix is not exactly a shining
> example either.
>
> Just because lots (all?) of the current commercial platforms do
> something  doesn't mean it is a good - or even acceptable - idea.

Hi Tim

I am defining "done" as "Part of mainstream computing and a problem that
I don't have to think about anymore. I can use what is there".

I am sure there is still work to be done on UI widgets, but that does
not affect me as a consumer of those widgets. Same goes for file systems.

Like I stated in my last post, that just my perspective as a commercial
user of Smalltalk.

Now what is not "done" according to my definition? Seaside? Spoon?
Exupury? Image based IDE?

Regards

Daniel