Stef's Squeak Grand Vision

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 09:57:48 UTC 2006

On 7/8/06, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
> > For which VM is it?
> > The linux and window ones?
> > May be you should post in the vm mailing-list.
>
> Not yet there, we are just chatting now of the available option.
> And do not forget whatever the decision, it depends on the commitment of
> the respective SqueakGTK+ and SqueakWX developer to this road map.

It's probably best if someone who knows a lot about the VM looks at
the GTK and Wx patches for the various platforms, and tries to come up
with a way to shove these patches into modules - maybe breaking out
some ugly event loop stuff from the common code into modules as well.

Now, I'm not qualified in either area (VM, GTK, Wx), and I am usually
hesitant to make suggestions on mailing lists I couldn't at least
theoretically execute myself :-), but in this case I think it's
important that whatever becomes the common code, it becomes as
agnostic as possible about things like the UI.

BTW - I smell another interesting student project here :-). Evaluating
event handling across the matrix of {SqueakUI, GTK, Wx} x {Unix,
Windows, Mac} and coming up with a plugin design that can handle them
all...