Updated packages (was: Re: CALL FOR 3.9 Final changes)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jul 9 08:21:05 UTC 2006

Hi andreas

I will update and release a new version this morning then.
Do you really think that the 600k changes of diego could go via mantis?
We were more than happy to see Smallland fork merged back in Squeak.
And I know what is to work with conflicts and changes that are not
yours. I deal with that all the times.

Stef

> Hi Stef -
>
> I spent today going over all of the various fixes and changes and
> produced what (hopefully) is a consistent set of changes. I say
> "hopefully" because in the process of working on the various parts
> I found that the in-image changes at times conflicted with other
> changes, and that some of these changes were not appropriate
> (please, if we talk about communication, how about the release
> makers telling the package maintainers that they've changed a
> package?). As a result of this process, I've decided that from now
> on I have will have a very clear policy about including fixes, namely:
>
> With the exception of critical fixes (that is fixes without which
> the system would severely break) I will no longer accept changes
> that do not  go through the approved process, e.g., via Mantis.
> That is both, for my own sanity as a gesture of fairness towards
> the people who spend time and effort reporting the bugs on Mantis.
> I find it deeply unfair if some people have to go through a vetting
> process (in which I regularly reject changes) and others just get a
> ride for free on the back of some changes that just "somehow" end
> up in the image.
>
> The latest version of the packages are here:
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Ballon-ar.13.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Flash-ar.5.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/TrueType-ar.4.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Compression/Compression-ar.8.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/FFI/FFI-ar.11.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/Graphics-ar.38.mcz
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/GraphicsTest-ar.9.mcz
> They mostly include the various bug fixes and merges of changes
> that were already in the image (if SqF would have the log-button
> I'd include the change logs... ;-)

What is a log-button?
You mean what bert introduced in SqueakSource?

> For this round of changes there is an odd inconsistency here which
> I realize but it was only in the process of looking at proposed
> changes that I came to realize that in an "orderly" process I would
> have rejected some of those changes outright. So, in this round
> there are still various changes included that went outside the
> regular processes, in the future I will not longer accept those. I
> have started to reject some changes though (those that triggered
> the whole process, like the one making Color depend on
> NaturalLanguageTranslator),

Berk! Who did that?

> so you will want to make sure that the following bugs are properly
> dealt with:
>
> 	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4166
> 	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4168
> 	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4169
> 	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4170
>
> With these four bugs fixed the packages should be nicely in sync.

I'm confused. Should I harvest them. I guess yes.

Stef