Updated packages

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jul 9 09:51:47 UTC 2006

>> I will update and release a new version this morning then.
>> Do you really think that the 600k changes of diego could go via
>> mantis?
>
> Perhaps not. But a useful way of dealing with these changes would
> have been to file a bugreport that says "okay, we got all these
> changes that nobody really looked at, could you go over the changes
> in the graphics package and deal with them appropriately".

Ok I will take note of that for the future.

>>> The latest version of the packages are here:
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Ballon-ar.13.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/Flash-ar.5.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Balloon/TrueType-ar.4.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Compression/Compression-ar.
>>> 8.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/FFI/FFI-ar.11.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/Graphics-ar.38.mcz
>>>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/Graphics/GraphicsTest-ar.9.mcz
>>> They mostly include the various bug fixes and merges of changes
>>> that were already in the image (if SqF would have the log-button
>>> I'd include the change logs... ;-)
>> What is a log-button?
>> You mean what bert introduced in SqueakSource?
>
> Yes. It's really useful.

Ok I will ask the squeaksource guy if they can update it.

>>> I have started to reject some changes though (those that
>>> triggered the whole process, like the one making Color depend on
>>> NaturalLanguageTranslator),
>> Berk! Who did that?
>
> It is actually not that suprising (and I've seen much worse code).
> It comes from Color>>colorPaletteOfDepth: which uses
> NaturalLanguageTranslator for some form substitution. But you can
> probably see why I'm starting to reject such changes - these
> dependencies shouldn't be in the graphics package, in particular
> considering that all users of it are in Morphic (which is why I
> moved this to ColorPickerMorph).

Ok good.
I was thinking that it would be good to have a way to understand
dependencies. We will start to work on it for a research
topics and I hope to fold the results into a kind of tool for squeak.

>>>     http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4166
>>>     http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4168
>>>     http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4169
>>>     http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4170
>>>
>>> With these four bugs fixed the packages should be nicely in sync.
>> I'm confused. Should I harvest them. I guess yes.
>
> Or leave them to the appropriate package maintainers to deal with,
> just keep an eye on those changes. Without them fixed you got some
> series issues with 3.9.

I would like to have 3.9 final (or nearly there) by the end of next
week.

Stef