Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:42:50 UTC 2006

> Honestly, Stef, if it isn't random then what is the strategy for these
> changes? Looking at the past Squeak versions, starting from 3.6 every
> version was just incompatible enough with previous versions such that it
> would break any serious user of the metaclass hierarchy (like Tweak). I
> think you will agree that it can't continue that way, that at some point
> we need to get back to what can be called a *stable* metaclass kernel
> with reliable APIs and when exactly will that point be reached?

To improve software, it is required to break backward compatibility.
Nobody is forcing you to move to a new version.

If updates to the base-framework don't enhance anything in the
development process of your software, it is unnecessary to update. If
I were you, I would stick with 3.6. Still waters run deep.

I have some legacy Seaside applications in ancient 3.6 images that run
just fine. They rarely change. They simply run fine. I won't port them
to 3.9 and a recent version of Seaside. These applications don't
require anything more as it is available in 3.6. However, for new
applications I take 3.9, I love
Shout/eCompletion/OmniBrowser/Traits/Pragmas/ToolBuilder/... I like to
keep up-to-date as long as it improves my productivity.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch