backwards compatibility (was Re: Tweak mainstream in Squeak)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Jul 10 23:36:28 UTC 2006

Hi!

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> > To improve software, it is required to break backward compatibility.
> > Nobody is forcing you to move to a new version.
>
> True.  Though if few enough people are moving to new versions as they
> come out, it's not a very good sign.

Indeed, indeed. As I often say "remember the 3.3 branch". Noone moved
in, because it was an uncomfortable image to move into, and thus it died
(at least that was an important part).

> Just as a data point: everything we do at Smallthought is based on a
> stripped 3.7 image.  Every few months I download a 3.9 image and play
> with it for about 15 minutes, but the reality is that what happens in
> 3.9 simply doesn't affect us.  If we're an exceptional case, it's
> probably not a big deal, but if it turns out that lots of others are
> doing the same thing, it would be worrying.
>
> Avi

As a datapoint I work in 3.8. I will try to move to 3.9 when it seems
fruititious - but I probably will not work in it until Seaside, Magma
and a few other important pieces are stabilized in it.

My first job in that department would be to give KomHttpServer a 3.9
overhaul of course.

regards, Göran