Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Tue Jul 11 07:18:49 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab a écrit :

> You're totally missing my point. Let's take one example from your list:
> ToolBuilder. Let's say you've got some work that uses it, would you
> really expect that in each new Squeak version you have to spend major
> effort to port your code to the latest ToolBuilder version? Or wouldn't
> you rather expect that there is a stable API that can be used and that
> may be extended over time, or even broken, but if it's broken that you
> may get some notice about it beforehand? Or, in particular when the
> changes get really fundamental, that instead of modifying ToolBuilder
> in-place you get the offer to use either ToolBuilder (working the way it
> always did) and whatever the brand-new framework of the day is?
>
> I'm curious but is my position in this discussion really so outrageous?

No, you get a very good point. API change is the nightmare of software
developer. You just fell frustrated to spend time to re-write already
done things. I remember experiencing such frustration with pre-2.0 Gnome
libraries.
We may want to have cycle of stable API version of Squeak, inlcuded in
the road-map.

Hilaire