Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 11 16:51:13 UTC 2006

Hi Bill -

> Now for the controversial part:  I have a concern about Tweak's compiler
> extensions.  At STS05, I saw a demo of Tweak's bleeding edge state at
> the time, and could not help thinking the extensions were creating an
> avoidable complexity, or were at least in the wrong place.  If you want
> to simplify life for beginners, then I think you could manage the event
> wiring for them w/o forcing it on advanced users.

This is an interesting question: I'd be curious why you feel the event
wiring is forced on advanced users, since you can always replace, e.g.,

Foo>>onBar: arg
      <on: bar>

with:

Foo>>initialize

     self startScript: #onBar: when: {self. #bar}.

And if you have a proposal for how one can avoid the two problems that
annotations are addressing (the ability to have multiple methods react
to the same event and the ability to avoid "extra" initializers to set
up the wiring) I'd really be interested. There are other advantages by
formalizing the event wiring, such as the ability to display this
information in the browser and to update running instances when the
wiring changes, but I'd certainly think about it if you have a proposal
for how to do it differently.

Cheers,
   - Andreas