OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at laposte.net
Thu Jul 13 07:11:53 UTC 2006

> Then there's Squeak's keyboard focus behavior when moving the mouse
> around, which is sort of a combination of Mac/Windows "click to focus"
> and X11 "mouse over focus" behavior.  In Squeak, you have "click to
> focus" behavior between windows (you have to click on a window to type
> in it), but between panes within a window, you have to mouse over to
> that pane.  After using all three UIs over the years, I'd say having a
> mix is probably the worst option... it might be worth converting Squeak
> to just one or the other.  (I'd lean toward "click to focus".)  I'm
> guessing this behavior originated with Smalltalk-80.

This is something that really annoys me every day. If somebody has a
fix, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like the mouse position not
to decide about what is focused. I click somewhere in a window and then
I can throw my mouse cursor away and forget about it. Currently, I often
loose the focus when I throw my mouse.

Moreover, the option in the preference browser
'mouseOverForKeyboardFocus' only works for windows, and not for pane. If
I move the mouse between panes, the focus change even the option is set
to false.

Bye