Tweak mainstream in Squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 13 08:39:37 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> And, btw, is there ANYTHING (google was of no help) which documents what
> you've done to the compiler, for example a new syntax diagram and/or a
> COMPLETE list with "what is for what"?

No there isn't, but fortunately it's not much ;-) Here you go:

a) Method Triggers: These are annotations which bind events to methods.
Three forms exist:

   <on: eventName>
   <on: eventName in: signaler>
   <ticking: frequency>

The first two bind specific events (potentially signaled in a field of
the receiver) the latter binds the ticking event to a frequency.

b) "Remote" assignments: Simply a transformation of assignment to
message form that allows you to write stuff like:
	foo color := Color white.

which gets translated into

	foo color: Color white.

I like this a lot because it allows us to be precise about whether we
think of changing an attribute or requesting a service.

c) Positional arguments: This is only used in Croquet right now and
allows you to call methods with foo(a, b, c) syntax, e.g.,

	opengl glVertex3f(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

Very, very useful if you want to integrate an existing API.

Cheers,
   - Andreas