OT - Squeak and the Broader Software Community

Daniel Poon mr.d.poon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:23:37 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 8-Jul-06, at 1:37 AM, Daniel Poon wrote:
>

>> I am defining "done" as "Part of mainstream computing and a problem
>> that I don't have to think about anymore. I can use what is there".
>
> I claim that is a completely pointless mis-definition.

Defining what we mean by "done" is a very useful way of managing
projects. No more than that.

>> I am sure there is still work to be done on UI widgets, but that does
>> not affect me as a consumer of those widgets. Same goes for file systems.
>
> Good grief, it's not merely 'ui widgets' that need work but the entire
> concept of ui. And filing system. Your statement is similar to the claim
> that there is no more science to be done.

Like I said before, that does not affect me as a consumer.

After following what is happening with Squeak at the moment, happily it
seems that there will be enough room in Squeak for our different points
of view. Its great that Squeak has people that are examining all the
assumptions in UI design.

Cheers

Daniel