MVC song

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Mon Jul 17 08:44:26 UTC 2006

Thanks for the explanation Ralph.

On 7/17/06, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> The problem is that the song is NOT about Smalltalk MVC.  In this
> song, the controller is a layer between the view and the model, which
> usually means it is a mediator.  ...

> The song desribes Ivar Jacobson's Model/Interface/Control, in which
> the Control is responsible for an entire use case.  It is not MVC.
> Jacobson's model is like the MVC model, but his Interface is a
> combination of View and Controller and his Control is not at all like
> a real Controller.

Has anyone seen a longer article that compares several different MVC
and Model/Interface/Control design strategies, as used in, say an
Apple GUI, a Struts Web app and in Smalltalk MVC / Morphic / Tweak /
Seaside?   I would like to understand the Smalltalk heritage for
current UI implementation practices, and see code samples or
pseudocode for where they differ.

If so, I would love to read such an article.

I know the best way would be to build my own and judge how
maintainable they are, but I am not motivated to learn Java and
Objective-C :)