[ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Jul 23 13:01:11 UTC 2006

Hi Pavel,

on Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:51:22 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> this is the lines count of exported *.st files:
>
> kernel image  - 109,000
> The Rest of Squeak - 377,000
>
> As you can see, the kernel is still full of mess :-) I hope that we
> will be able to clean it more and to do license audit of the remaining
> code. User then may load the SqueakL code from internet manually.
> Current image size is about 2,9 MB. AFAIK about 1MB are Unicode tables
> and other m17n related stuff.

Attached are two .cs files which together compile same 200KB Unicode table
data out of the .image (kernel as well as regular). They rewrite Unicode's
GeneralCategory SparseLargeTable oop entries (Strings) by using byte
(8bit) entries.

/Klaus

P.S
The third attached file is for those of you interested in performance data
points before/after applying the above and for validating that String
comparisons are no longer used by Character membership tests. This file's
changes are not intended to be kept in any image (use a regular image and
version revert before saving the image).

P.P.S.
Yoshiki-san, these are the same files I sent you recently.