Squeak Maintainence and Condensed Sources

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 25 06:46:36 UTC 2006

On 25.07.2006, at 06:15, Peace Jerome wrote:

> Squeak Maintainence and Condensed Sources
>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thank you for your first reply to
> Condensed Sources vs. Squeak Maintainence
>
> To restate the essesnce of my concern:
>
> I believe a great deal of code will rot and squeak
> will become a lot more fragile than it already is if
> you compress sources now in the process of finalizing
> 3.9.
>
> I understand your concern about the changes file going
> over its limit.

It is not a "concern". The changefile is 25MB in 7048, this
is not a "concern", this is a fact. And the other fact is that
the maximum size of the changes file is 32MB.

> First the task of getting a 3.10 with all changes from
> 3.9 would start with '3.9a with all changes from 3.0'
> that Doug Way (bless his heart) produced after I said
> please three times in one post.

This is technically not possible, as the changes file would
go over it's maximum size.

> Second condensed sources should come at the beginning
> of an alpha cycle not at an end.  So one alternative
> is to condense sources with the first version of 3.9
> alpha (or the 3.8 version just before that name
> change.  And produce a 3.9 with all changes from 3.8
> (condensed) source. That would not be as nice but it
> would at least be acceptable.

3.9 is not reproducable from 3.8, so building it on top
of some modified 3.8 is impossible, at least if we plan
to ship it soon at all.

shiping 3.9 with a .changes file of >25MB is impossible, too.

So what do you suggest?

     Marcus