Squeak Maintainence and Condensed Sources

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 25 08:29:05 UTC 2006

On 25.07.2006, at 08:46, Marcus Denker wrote:

>> I believe a great deal of code will rot and squeak
>> will become a lot more fragile than it already is if
>> you compress sources now in the process of finalizing
>> 3.9.

To make one thing clear: I do understand that code history
is *extremely* important. And I do know that we need
even more than a simple per-method history can do.

At SCG, we actually do research into analyzing history
of code... so be assured that we understand why it's needed,
that it is needed, and that without a past there will be no future.

But: Right know the code-history of Squeak is not scalable enough
to provide a history for the whole system, and we need to
balance between what is possible easily now and what is needed
for the future.

     Marcus