SIXX troubles and advanced use

Masashi UMEZAWA masashi.umezawa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 09:22:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/
> >
> available for 3.8? 3.9? (not on squeakmap?)

This is tested for 3.8, but I think it would run on 3.9. I will
release the stable one to SM if the code is fully tested in other
Smalltalk dialects (VW, Dolphin).

> > Basically, SIXX writes the whole object structures in one file. It is
> > simple, but causes a performance problem if the data becomes
> > relatively big.
> >
> > To avoid it, you would need to split the structures in small files.
> Ok, but sorry I'm not sure to understand : You split the strucures
> accordind to the different references with other objects for example?

One SIXX file can be thought as a container of the closely related
objects. So, it is not desirable having external references from one
SIXX file to another file. If you can not avoid some external
references, I recommend applying Memento design pattern.

> > Actually. I'm developing a Wiki that stores pages in SIXX with
> > FileMan. If it is released, it would be a good example of using SIXX
> > in application.
>
> It's possible to have some piece of code?

Wiki stuff is in a very early stage so it would be confusing. But in
'SIXX-Examples' category, you can see two examples of custom
serialization (SixxCustomStoreLoadExample, SixxMorphMemento). You can
read the class comments and evaluate example methods.

Cheers,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]