Towards a small kernel image

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Jul 28 19:18:59 UTC 2006

> >> Unfortunately there's almost nobody who can maintain the next release.
> Why ? You don't work more on kernel.image ?

AFIK Marcus have no time for maintaining of the next Squeak version
and I don't expect that anybody will be able to substitute him. So we
have to modify current development model to make it more independent
on this bottleneck or Squeak will freeze up. Establishing of teams
helped a lot but it seems that it is still not enough.

IMHO we simply need to split Squeak in many small packages and use
very open development model (like Seaside) for every of them. If more
people will use the latest versions, the feedback will be much more
intensive. Then we need some kind of test server that will produce and
test daily builds.

Of course that I still want to work on the kernel image. But there are
some very important projects that I want to see and where I may be
more useful - for example fully web-based Smalltalk IDE - it's
possible to make it as usable as native IDE with current web
technologies and users will get flexible multi-user UI with standard
feel.

> >> And if we will create the basic kernel image, there will be no human
> >> resources to unify it as the base for the current Squeak forks.
>
> Again why?.

Look at the current state. We have the draft of the kernel. We have
few basic packages and a way how to load the rest of full Squeak
sources. I can imagine that we will be able to clean the kernel, I can
imagine that we will have good network and Seaside part. Maybe we will
be able to run development tools in Morphic but I don't expect that we
will be able to have Morphic and eToys as the regular clean packages.
There will be no human resources to do it.

If you look at the current package The Rest of Squeak, it's big ugly
package with many confused relationships because current Squeak looks
so. So maybe some other UI like wxSqueak will replace Morphic for
developers and it will be in the same possition like MVC today. In
future it may paradoxicaly cause beginning of the next Squeak fork
based on the old Squeak.

> You have a killer solution and people soon discover this is a good one to
> follow and work.
>
> You could lead a kernel.image team.

"If asked if he wants to be Prime Minister, the generally acceptable
answer for a politician is that while he does not seek the office, he
has pledged himself to the service of his country, and that should his
colleagues persuade him that that is the best way he can serve, he
might reluctantly have to accept the responsibility, whatever his
personal wishes might be." ;-)

I think that it's too big responsibility for one man, especially if
the man is me :-)

> I sign for it if my Spanish don't bother you :=)

Welcome on board :-)

-- Pavel