Towards a small kernel image

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jul 28 10:14:52 UTC 2006

> Are there any plans to use your small image as the official base
> image?

Not for now. We will not take the responsibility for work we did not
cary.
Now if Pavel wants he can
	- publish a small kernel that people can use
	- chunk his changes so that we can push them in 3.10

> Using a small base image then importing externally supported
> packages should make image maintenence much easier as there will be
> less code. Is this a good time to burn bridges to move forward to
> a more modular future?

after 3.9 :)

> Sure there's a risk that we might drop code, but code that isn't
> maintained will rot inside the image as well as outside. If people
> know that packages will be gone unless they do something, there is a
> chance that they will step forward knowing the stakes even though they
> might not have volunteered if the code was in the image rotting slowly
> through lack of attention.

I would go first in 3.10 for a first round of dropping code that
needs to
be dropped: Etoy, MVC, morphic parts and more.

Then...