Saving the image in the background

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jul 30 15:25:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 03:04:58PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> If you have OSProcess you can fork the image (search the mailinglist,
> Avi once asked about this). I don't know if this now works on Mac OS.
> Also pay attention that if you have two forked images at the same
> time, that they don't write into the same image file (if you want to
> use it for Pier). Otherwise you might end up with a corrupted image
> file.

This is done by evaluating "UnixProcess saveImageInBackgroundNicely".
The image will be saved by a copy of your Squeak image running in a
separate OS process at low priority, with little or no impact on your
main Squeak process.

It should also work on OS X if you are using the unix VM for OS X that
supplies the OSPP plugin (I would appreciate if someone can confirm
this). It might also work on the regular Mac VM if you compile your
own OSPP plugin, but I'm not sure of this.

Dave