Debugging problem with GOODS 80 in 3.8-6665

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Jun 2 03:06:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 22:20 -0400, David Shaffer wrote:
> Ken Causey wrote:
>
> >An update.  It appears that between a quit and restart somehow the
> >socket is sticking around with the same sessionID.  I'm not sure how
> >this is possible.  For now I'm working around it by not holding on to a
> >KKDatabase instance in the saved image on shutdown.
> >
> >Ken
> >

> I'd like to understand the problem since I'm trying to help maintain the
> GOODS client.  Is it simply that you access a proxy or try to commit a
> GOODS session after a restart?

It's that I have a referance to an instance of KKDatabase in an instance
variable when the image is saved on a 'Save and Quit'.  Then when I
restart Squeak with the same image and attempt a commit I get the
failure because the sessionID has not been updated although the network
connection has been stopped and then started resulting in thisNetSession
being updated and then when socketValid() checks that they match, they
don't, and so it considers the socket invalid.

> BTW, I've published an updated client on SqueakSource.  I'm not going to
> put it on SqueakMap yet since there is one issue with it: it doesn't
> work with the WriteBarrier package.  If you're not using WriteBarrier I
> highly recommend updating since it adds a fix for #refresh and related
> methods.

I'm not using WriteBarrier as of yet at least.  Thanks I'll take a look
at the new release.