Self-bootstrapping - some good and bad news

squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Jun 2 19:27:03 UTC 2006

Bad: condenseChanges fix doesn't work well. If you try to find some string
in source codes, it fails.

Good: I have created ChangeSet subclass, that enables to file-out mirrors
(it has to get rid of inicialization of classes). So everybody can create
own version of mirrors now.

Bad: Now I'm not able to publish that, I'm on the official trip. Maybe on
Monday...

Good: I have created special versions of MCPackageInfo and MCPackage that
can produce Monticello package for mirrors so I hope that we will be able
to use public SqueakSource repository for this project.

Bad: If I try to load the generated package into the fresh image, it fails
in half. It seems that there's some problem with WideString because error
message shows half on the problematic method well and half of the method
with 4 bytes per character. The behaviour is same if I unzip the package
and try to load sources directly. I notice that the compressed package has
cca 2MB.

Bad: Currently I don't know how to get rid of inicialization part of
classes in package.

If we solve this problems, we can close phase 1) and we may start with
kernel cleanup.
There's no feedback from the leaders (only from Stef) so I have to ask: is
this the way how we want to develop Squeak 3.10?

-- Pavel