The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Duncan Mak duncanmak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 00:05:38 UTC 2006

Hello all,

What is the concensus to the assignment character issue in 3.9?

I understand the desire to let the underscore be underscore, and not hijack
it to be <-, I agree with that 100%.

However, I believe that quite a few of us still prefer to see the <-
displayed instead of the newer :=. At least, I'd prefer a 2 keypresses than
3 keypresses (shift, semicolon, equal) for entering the assignment operator.

I propose the following:

1) Outside of the code display within Squeak, always use := because the <-
is not available anywhere else.

2) Inside Squeak, let it be a preference to allow the user to choose between
:= and <- for the glyph used to display the assignment operator.

3) Add Ctrl-= as an additional keybinding for entering the assignment
operator. This way, there's a 2-keypress way for entering assignment again.

Would it be a big performance hit if the source code is always stored using
:=, and add a method to StringHolderView or PluggableTextView to convert
from := to -> when displaying code?

Duncan.