Using SqueakMap on a fresh 3.8 Image for the first time -> CPU 100% for an hour

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 4 06:34:00 UTC 2006

Günther,

First let me describe what I get: Clicking "Open SMPackege Loader" in an image
the requests to update client to 2.2:

Messages:

upgrading squeakmap
snapshotting methods
diffing
cleaning up
compiling
initializiing

Do you see any of the above?

Takes about a minute combined on DSL - this is Linux with a 3.9 VM though..

So what to try?

I am not really sure any of the below will help, but if you want to, try one
or both of two approaches. (In both cases, although it seems clear it is not
the problem, I would delete the SM directory..just in case and it should not
hurt i think). Then:

	1) Slow Method: Wait for that failure message (may want to run it overnight
if it's slow as you said it seems) and send it here along with the
SqueakDebug.log. Describe what is going on along the way (any messages you
see, answer etc) and send it here.

	2) Fast Method: Open the SM Package Loader, Wait for a few minutes or so, and
then interrupt the process by clicking Alt-. (alt and dot). That will ask if
you want to proceed, you can investigate what is going on in the stack, but
it is probably not straighforward. You could send a screenshot of the
interrupt stack, that may help to pinpoint what is hapenning, although I am
not much qualified at that :). You could also save the image at that point
(thus freezing the state), ask someone to download it and look at it,
although I am not sure it would be all that helpful because other person
would run it on a different network.

Milan