VM crash

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 4 14:53:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 01:12:12PM +0100, Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I do hope someone can help me out here because it's a real stopper for my
> app. I was getting sporadic VM crashes when calling my plugin, which I have
> now got down to a very small subset of code to reproduce the problem. The
> crash dump never has a stack trace and sometimes it fails so bad no dump is
> produced. Essentially what I have is a 'C' method that returns and array of
> 4096 float values. I have taken away all the application C code and simply
> load and return an array, so I am quite sure it's not the C code that's
> breaking but somewhere in the C/Squeak interface. Here is what I have
> (stripped to minimum for clarity). For testing I am running this flat out in
> a loop. If I run 100,000 iterations I will usually but not always get a
> crash. Is there anything I can do to isolate this a bit further?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Bob,

I tried building your test plugin code on my Linux system, and it
works just fine. The test method returns the expected array of floats
from 0.0 through 4095.0. I ran this test method 1,000,000 times with
no errors, and ran it again still with no errors (2 million iterations
total).

I'd be quite surprised if there was any difference between the
windows and unix VMs in this case, but I guess nothing is impossible.

I'm attaching the actual code that I ran for your reference. You
might want to try building this exact code on your system just as
a double-check to be sure there is not something else going on in
your plugin that somehow affects this test.

HTH,
Dave