VM crash

Cowdery, Bob [UK] Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com
Mon Jun 5 08:39:31 UTC 2006

To. David, Tim, Klaus, Bert, Tom and Jecel.

I thank you all very much for the input and I am very pleased to say
that removing the ^data from the primitive 'seems' to have cured the
problem. At least I can't get the test code to crash now. I wasn't
actually using the returned result but even so it was clearly doing
something nasty. I have responded to the specifics below.

Bob--

David T Lewis said
> I tried running this on my system, and I do *not* get a crash.
Initially this looked very much like an XP only VM problem and I still
don't quite understand why Linux survives.

> should return an object (an OOP) rather than a C pointer value.  You
should definitely fix this..
Fixed and seems to work reliably now.

> You mentioned that you have two systems (a laptop and something else),
and that one of them crashes, and the other does not. > I think that you
should copy the image & changes from the system that does not crash over
to the system that does crash, and > see if that image runs OK on both
computers.
Both did actually fail in the end. I do from time to time start with a
new image as I haven't quite mastered keeping the image clean although I
am getting better.

Tim said
> you don't need to return anything anyway since you are filling in
> the array you pass in and as Klaus quite rightly points out it is
> returning completely the wrong thing.
Yup, it also gets rid of some compiler warnings which in hindsight I
should not have ignored.

Bert said
> Third, Bob, since nobody seems to have told you yet, it would be nice

> if you would send plain-text messages. I don't like having to crank
> up the font size for every of your messages. And your Confidentiality

> Notice is sort of nonsensical when posting to a public mailing list.
> Thanks.

Yes I know, sorry. The mail server adds the footer so I can't avoid that
and I do switch to plain text 'usually' but sometimes it inexplicably
gets put back into HTML. This one should definitely be plain text
according to my settings.

Klaus said
> I've looked how #asFloat, used in the FloatArrayPlugin, is
c-translated:
> its argument is casted to double. But your c-code example defines
float
> *result and float[4096] ?
That sound like it should be a problem but in practice seems ok.

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.