The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Jun 6 18:02:34 UTC 2006

Chris,

================================
Hi Stéphane,

> .. Indeed this is important that all the
> code is store using one convention.

Why is it so important, can you enlighten me?

thanks..
================================

I'm with Stef on this.  It strikes me as being almost self-evident that one would want to be in synch with other Smalltalks with respect to syntax.  <somebodyHasToSayIt>While there is certainly nothing wrong w/ one-character assignment if users want it (which many obviously do), it was a mistake to put same into the compiler and to taint the sources with it.  It belongs in the editors, and should be optional.</somebodyHasToSayIt>

This is something that can be done in a way that serves both camps.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology