The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Wed Jun 7 14:15:29 UTC 2006

I would also suggest that the left arrow is off-putting to newbies.
There's no obvious key for it, and it causes a lot of confusion for
the user trying to figure out how to make one.  So it ends up being a
barrier to entry. Making ParagraphEditor "magically" replace things
(or render them specially) isn't really better.

I think it's time to let this convention go - it's more trouble than
its worth.

-Todd Blanchard