The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

John Pierce john at pierce.name
Wed Jun 7 14:42:29 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:

> I would also suggest that the left arrow is off-putting to newbies.  There's
> no obvious key for it, and it causes a lot of confusion for the user trying
> to figure out how to make one.  So it ends up being a barrier to entry.
> Making ParagraphEditor "magically" replace things (or render them specially)
> isn't really better.

Even worse, the tranditional assignment operator looks an aweful lot
like the figure that is silk screened on my "Backspace" key (at least
on my keyboard). ;-)

> I think it's time to let this convention go - it's more trouble than its
> worth.

With that said, I really *love* the single left arrow for assignment.
I am saddened by the trend to eject it, but I understand it might not
be the best for the long run.

I guess I can get used to := instead, but it just feels so "programmery".

Regards,

John

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw