The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at Lehre.BA-Stuttgart.DE
Fri Jun 9 06:33:10 UTC 2006

Squeakers,

>*yes*, the "pascalish" ":=" assignment is ANSI and it should be used as

It stems from Algol 60. And Algol 60 inherited it from mathematics, where it is
used to "define" something. Algol 60 was not only used as a programming language
but also as a mathematical notation to describe algorithms concisely and
unambiguously.

As a mathematical notation Algol 60 used strange symbols. So something that
resembles a little "v" is the boolean "or" operator. These symbols were employed
regardless of the limitations imposed by keyboards and display devices.

Nowadays Smalltalk offers all the flexibility needed. The scanner in my image,
that originated from Squeak 1.18, does not accept ":=" any more. I simply do not
need it. In the tradition of mathematics and Algol 60 I have the human reader in
mind when composing a method, and if a computer program cannot cope with my
preferences, I prefer to adapt the program to my taste instead of adapting my
taste to the limitations of some "standards".

Regards,
Wolfgang
--
Weniger, aber besser.