interpreterProxy signalSemaphoreWithIndex:

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jun 10 00:00:31 UTC 2006

Likely I should point out this code is not 100% percent thread safe.

People doing thousands of signal events per second from an async
thread should think carefully about the code.

This becomes a bit more of a problem given 4GHz machines with dual or
quad processors.
The original solution to the problem I posted many years ago used a
semaphore, but I was told those don't exist on some platforms so the
current code does not
do thread safe locking of any form.

Losing an occasional signal event is of course is a bear to debug...

On 9-Jun-06, at 3:37 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> In the same mood, check out the example callback plugin that I just
> posted over at vm-dev: It uses signalSemaphoreWithIndex() as well.
>
> http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=vm-
> dev&cmd=showmsg&msgnum=749
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas