SqNOS: new article "A simple guide to writing HardwareDevices"

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Mon Jun 12 15:41:42 UTC 2006

Hi Richie.

I'm glad to know SqueakNOS is back. I have always been a fan of it!

>>   You can select many different frequencies, and this does not affect the RTC's time keeping.
>>
>     That's nice! I was not sure if this would affect the time or not. I
> think I'll try to see how many IRQs per second we can handle from Squeak
> without loosing any, and without killing the responsiveness. I'll report
> back as soon as I do it.

Some time ago (486 OS/2 3.0), doing low latency audio experiments in
Squeak, I was able to get about 5000 with no problems with a custom
device driver and a C plugin. I could get smooth real time dsp with a
latency of about 0.2mS. I could even control the plugin with a Morphic GUI.

The limit was the time the CPU needed to respond to the interrupt (it
was documented in the Intel manuals). I guess it must be faster these days.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich