Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Wed Jun 14 15:44:13 UTC 2006

While at the 14th International Smalltalk Conference 2006[1], I am
proposing we set a meeting during all the week to establish a  migration
plan to get the next version of Squeak released under a  licence
compatible with the free software community (probably APSL2 in our case).

As a free software activist and developer, I always get political
difficulty to promote Squeak because of its licence. For me it is
already free but most of the free software community and my friend  do
not share this point of view. It is really a problem because  most
people get stuck to the licence problem and they can't  discover all the
great stuff coming with Squeak and Smalltalk.

Getting the next Squeak released under a free software licence,
compatible with the free software community, will help us if we  want
our community to grow, and we all fell the potential for the  growth is
there. A bigger community will be a great benefice for  all of us: more
people writing great library frameworks, developers  could get more
support from the free software oriented  corporations, a well known
Squeak will open new business  opportunity, educators will be more
exposed to Squeak and they will  produce more teaching materials. In
fact we will just be able to  take benefice of the great promotion
machinery of the free software  community. Anyway I am just repeating
things you already know.

Back to the meeting idea. The only output of this meeting will be a
migration plan, to establish wish bits need to be removed,  rewritten,
relicenced. It is more a meta-migration meeting than a  migration
meeting, but still it is a first step we need to work on.  To establish
a realistic migration plan, the helps of Squeak  experts will be an
absolute necessity.
Great Squeakers as Marcus Denker, Stephane Ducasse, Adrian  Leinhardt,
Lukas  Renggli, Mike Rueger (impara) will attend the  International
Smalltalk conference. We can take the opportunity of  the physical
presence of these experts to get great insights for a  realistic
migration plan.

I am proposing for 4 or 5 days meeting, taking place after the  daily
conferences. The meeting could last for two hours, 17:00-19:00.

As a matter of facts, which experts are ready to join such a meeting?

Hilaire
--
ADD R0,R1,R2,LSL #2