[HACK] Unicode keyboard input and fonts

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sun Jun 18 22:09:40 UTC 2006

  Danil,

> I'm wondering for a quite a long time - are we 'unicodized' or not yet?
> Is the current state of m17n kind of final and I just don't get how to
> use it or something else should be done? What do other non-latin folks
> think about it? Does the fact that nobody but me complains mean that all
> is ok?
> A lot of questions and it is not a sarcasm.
>
> As for me, stock image and VMs definitely are not enabled for Russian.

  Please keep it in mind that "Unicodizing" and "enable language YYY"
are different issues (not only in Squeak, but in any systems that
try to deal with them.).  Current Squeak is Unicodized, but many
languages are wanting to be implemented.

  In Squeak, each language requires a few methods get implemented, and
basically the native speakers need to yell what fonts they want to use
for their language.

  (By definition of Unicode, there is no single font that can make
everybody happy for Unicode.  Not only in Squeak, but in any systems
that try to deal with them.)

  For example, what font do you want to use Russian.  For performance
reason, it would be nice that there is a set of bitmap fonts in
different size that matches the Accuny fonts, and also a TT font for
some other purposes.

-- Yoshiki