Monticello change log history?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Jun 19 21:33:04 UTC 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> And yes, basically this is what I've been doing, e.g., do a merge
> of the versions in both repositories and publish the merged version
> to both.

Ah, but that's why you're not getting the intermediate versions. This
is confusing, so I'm going to make up a scenario so I can speak more
concretely and pedantically.

Let's imagine that I'm taking a plane ride and want to work on some
Croquet stuff on the plane. Clearly I won't have access to the
Croquet repository on the plane, so I want to synch my local
repository with the master Croquet repository and be able to work
offline.

In my local repository, I have the following versions:

FishTank-cwp.1
FishTank-cwp.3

I get the list of versions in the Croquet repository, and find it
contains:

FishTank-cwp.2
FishTank-ar.3
FishTank-ar.4

Thus, I download FishTank-cwp.2, FishTank-ar.3 and FishTank-ar.4, and
upload FishTank-cwp.3. Now the repositories are synchronized. They
have the same contents, and no merging of versions was required:

FishTank-cwp.1
FishTank-cwp.2
FishTank-cwp.3
FishTank-ar.3
FishTank-ar.4

I get on the plane and I realize that FishTank is forked. We've both
done some work based on cwp.2, and I want to merge it. So I merge cwp.
3 and ar.4, creating cwp.5. Since I've now got a local copy of cwp.2,
the merge works out fine. Then I do some more work, creating cwp.6.
Now I get to Japan, and it's time to synch my work back up to the
master repository. So I upload cwp.5 and cwp.6, and now the
repositories are synched again.

Does this make sense?

Colin