[BUG] Crash while working on a Future.

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Wed Jun 21 11:43:07 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I've got this really difficult bug.

Attached is a small ChangeSet containing subset of classes that I'm
using. When I execute the following, Squeak crashes:

Future doing: [ByteStream].

The intended behaviour is that the value is returned immediately and is
usable (any invocation will block), but is filled in with the value of
the block when that block has finished executing.

It works for a few simple cases, but unfortunately the image has a spasm
and dies with the above.

Only alt-d this. Don't inspect or debug it straight off; you'll freeze
the image. Once the 'halt:' has popped up, you should be able to use
that debugger, although you might have to define instVarAt:,
instVarAt:put: and maybe one or two others in MessageCapture.

There is also debugging output logged to squeak.image.log.

I'm stuck on this. I have a feeling that it is more complicated that
what immediately is apparent.

Many thanks to any and all who have a crack at this! Oh, and the
attached code is released under the MIT license.

Mikevdg.