Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 30 09:47:45 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> writes:
> The main problem is who would do that? Since we are not even able to
> harvest fixes.
> Now what we can do is to perform an audit of the assets we have and
> their status:
>
> - NewCompiler (nearly there and could be APSL/MIT/Squeak-L)
> - Tweak ?
> - OmniBrowser
> - MC
> - YAXO
>
> I have the impression that we cannot restart from scratch without a
> clear analysis of the current
> status.

There is a lot of existing Squeak content.  There are 200 packages in
the 3.7 stable package universe.  It takes hours just to *read* this
list.  Imagine how long it would take to reproduce it all.

In fact, this would be a good threshold to keep in mind before
starting over: how long will it take to get back to zero?  Until you
are back to zero, many people will want to continue with the current
system.

-Lex