about translations

Jeroen van Hilst jeroen at keizerrijk.net
Wed Mar 1 19:37:40 UTC 2006

Best Alberto,

Im a squeak newbie too ...

I wholehartedly agree with your post. I also have tried to (start) with
translating to my native language (dutch) so squeak
would be more accessable to my kids, but i have not come very far.

Ik think the NaturalLanguageTranslator/Editor in images 3.7 - 3.9 is broken.

There is some kind of working copy in the squeakland image (there was a
but i havent succeeded in translating something exporting and importing in
another image (if that is possible at all?).
And doing the translation with the Editor is not very handy process... (no
offense).

Since squeak and Smalltalk are still mazes to me, i havent found out how to
work with this.

If you know ways to make this process better (gettext method sounds very
good), i would be glad to help / assist in any way i can.

What i would also like to know:

"Alberto Berti" <alberto at metapensiero.it> wrote in message
news:4405B1D8.7000501 at metapensiero.it...
> Hello squeakers,

>How it's possible to highilight the differences between the standard image,
>the squeaklanddev one and the small-land one and backport these missing
>features to the standard one? I really do not know yet and i've still to
>read the doc if there is one on that subject so i tried another approach.

and
>[Is] there is a way to track sources of such a widely
>intersring topic like traslations in consitent or affordable way? do you
>publish your sources somewhere guys?

NOTE: this is all positve critisism - i love squeak and admire all tricks
you guys perfom... ;)

Best
    - Jeroen

"Alberto Berti" <alberto at metapensiero.it> wrote in message
news:4405B1D8.7000501 at metapensiero.it...
> Hello squeakers,

<snip>

> But i think also that a key need for squeak to be usable and adopted both
> by "normal" kids and by operators and impaired children is the translation
> of the standard environment in their mother tongue (e.g. italian for me).

<snip>