Plopp and Teddy (was: An interesting presentation and discussion, maybe still is)

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 14:40:27 UTC 2006

Darius Clarke wrote:
>David,

Hi Darius,

>What do you think of Blender 3D for general 3D creation and import to
>Croquet? Too hard? Too difficult to import? or still OK?

Blender 3D is a powerful and free tool for 3D model creation.  It was
originally made as a professional proprietary tool for a design studio
and then later released as freeware.  It has a large active user and
developer community.  It can export to VRML 2 and OBJ formats, both of
which can be imported to Croquet with packages that are available on
Squeakmap.  It can also export BVH format, which is a "bones"
representation of object animation, which recent updates for Jasmine
Croquet can import.  It is a very powerful and useful tool.

All that being said, I don't much like the Blender GUI, as it is not
at all friendly for the casual user.  Some Blender documents describe
the GUI as being workflow-oriented for the professional designer.  It
has a large learning curve.

I still use Blender because of its power and ease of moving content to
Croquet, but I would really prefer to use a more friendly tool.

>Cheers,
>Darius

Cheers,
Dave